Tuesday 31 May 2011

My first night trial - 12 km May 4, 2011


My first night trial - 12 km

A rundown of the night event
7.30 to 8 pm - gathered at the starting line, did some warming up . There are claps of thunder and the smell of rain is in the air

8pm – the gun was fired

1-3 km - it’s a easy jog, some gradual slopes but not so bad

3-5km – it’s getting tougher, the slopes are steeper and to my horror , I felt sleepy at this stretch , It’s all dark , with other runners and I wanted to give up and go to bed but I’m in the middle of nowhere , so I have to press on

6km -- mud slope, we have to climb up the slope using the ropes to pull us up

7-8 km – I’m the only runner in a 200 m stretch, the other runners are either in front or behind me. The volunteers are nowhere to be seen . It’s me and my headlamp and my nano.
I removed my earpiece and hear – puff puff ( me puffing) , crack crack ( my feet against the pebbles and rocks) , croak croak ( insects and frogs and toads and other animals !)
8 km – I see a FINNISH banner but where are the lights, where is everybody ? – oops , I think it’s a finishing line for another category - finished long ago . False hope L
8-12km – did some slow climb and slow jogs at this point. But slopes , slopes,, and the final 11 km , the steepest slope .


 
12 km--- FINISH !!!!!!! I made it, 1 hour 53 min
My next goal – 21km , Sundown run , 28 May . ( Hope to finish before sunrise)

No comments:

Post a Comment