Thursday 5 May 2011

Demise and Eulogy of my socks Part 2


·          
I have plenty of socks. Most of them are for practical reasons for my jogs ( Nike dry fits), cheap ones ( $2 from Daiso), wool socks ( my overseas travel), gifts etc.
I do not think much of them, except that they are worned for these reasons above, however i have some good experience with them and i ""killed"4 of them and in the process provided good memories of my travels
i just came back from a nice trip from Bhutan. The weather was nice, people are frieindly, eager to please, religious and they are quite simple, naive, in my opinion . Some hotels are practical for tourists , some are rustic, with traditional facilities like a fireplace ( they called it Bacurry in Bhutan, not sure if i spelt correctly). Overall it was a nice experience there ..( more of trip later).

Anyways, we took a long car ride to Bumthang on the 3rd day . This place has a traditional Bacurry in all rooms. We need to put logs to the stove regularly to ensure we are kept warm throughout the night. Being a true bred Singapore city girl i have no experience with a fireplace . There is no need for a fireplace in Singapore anyways.

The staff showed me how to place the logs in the stove, explained to me that the stones on the stove is to regulate the heat of the stove , etc etc . In the middle of the night, i found my room too cold and knocked on Winnie and Jamie's room, asking for help. My dear jamie kindheartly went over to my room and helped me restart fire. ( note, another story coming up to this restarting of fire) She also explained that i can put my socks on top of the stones so they can dry quickly.. .. Time passed and too bad we failed to really start a good fire on the first night. Jamie spent a night in my room helping to strove the fire and to turn the socks regularly.

On the 2nd night, my room was too HOT !!!!! I had asked the staff to clean up the stove that morning, they had done a too good job :) Timidly, i knocked on Winnie and Jamie's room again and informed them my room is too hot ! Gamely Jamie went over to the room to check out the temperature, told me to open the bathroom door so the heat can spread to a bigger area.

I told her proudly that i too dried my socks on the stones and showed her ... Bloody hell, there is a hole in the sock (1) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! speechless !! I later heard from Jamie that when she told Winnie, Winnie laughed until she fell onto her bed.

I found another BBQ sock ( 1 a different socks) a couple of days later when i tried to wear them..

We told Tienzie our tour guide, i can see that he was trying to contain his giggles and he told us that this was the first time in his 5 years tour experience he came across BBQ socks. I will email to him the photos of the BBQ socks for his sourvenior, from Janice.

Lesson learnt... never bring a pair of expensive socks for travelling , you will never know what happens . After my April trip last year, i had taken to buying cheaper socks,, just in case.

Thanks for the good memories, socks.





Story of my Northface pants coming soon to facebook near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment