Friday 10 October 2014

Machu pichuu hike !


Machu pichuu  hike !

 

We have fears of not completing the climb. Prior to machuu pichuu , when we were at Puno and Cola Canyon, we felt the strains of a small hike, we were exhausted after one km of a small walk . But , these places were high altitude of above 3000m . Machuu pichuu is below 3000m , so maybe it’s easier ?

We set off on an early morning  train . 2 nights earlier, we had a briefing with our guides. We are to pack an overnight bag and the guides will send them in advance to our hotel in Machuu Pichuu . We only needed to bring our day pack on the day itself.

The train run was pretty smooth  . It had a wide glass window, with no curtains, glass roof, to allow for  par anomic of the Andes Mountain.   We were served breakfast and it was a fun ride although it was rather sunny at times.

Around 3.5 hours into the ride , the train crew informed us the 104km station, for the 1 day hike is near and we have to get ready. We were surprised, as there would usually be announcements for train stations, nevertheless, we got with , and with our barang barang … INCLUDING ours and the guides lunch bags, which the driver gave us in the morning. When we were at the train exit, there really is no train station, but it’s just a stop in the middle of nowhere,  and I see our guides running to us.  The train steps are too high for me and I couldn’t step down, I had to sit on the highest step, to jump down down from the train.  I think either the crew/ guide had to hold me down.  Imagine how we look to the rest of the passengers, where we were told drop off in the middle of nowhere, with all our baggages – and then jumping off from the train.. Sounds like a Jackie Chan / Tom Cruise  “”Mission Impossible” Movie




 
 
 
As we walked to the Machuu Pichuu 104 checkpoint,  we got ourselves ready for the hike, it’s a bit of hassle, really, we removed our raincoat, put on the mosquito repellent , sunblock’s, hats , sunglasses, cooling T shirts, got our passports stamped and  we set off

 
 
It was a sunny morning, and as we walked we perspired a lot, a felt stuffy at times . For me I think the first hour walk was not so bad.










 
We rested at the pit stop and decided to remove the calf part of the pants and true enough, I felt much cooler. Note that I’m wearing the 2XU compression tights as well, to help with recovery.  Hence this is the reason I felt hot (plus the tights makes the NF pants a bit tight)

 
 
For me, I was almost keeping pace with Wanda ( first guide),  for the rest, Carlos was the rear guide. I hear from them that Carlos was very encouraging , pointed  the plants, animals , leaves to them









We made it to the waterfalls  around lunchtime, comprising of dried sandwich, desert, drinks and a salad. I think, most of us didn’t have the appetite to eat them, but took it for recovering our energy sake



 
 
 
We went on again and there are steps, steps and more steps… to the Terrace . Wanda told me its 300 steps !  It didn’t look like it as its 10 steps, turn a corner and then another 10 steps…. I was panting and stopping every 50 steps…. BUT , it’s really worth it as the Terrace steps are beautiful and  awesome.  It was eye boggling and all greens











 
 
 
After lots of photo taking and rest, we set off for the final leg of the hike… towards the Sun Gate.  There were rocky paths and again steps up steps down, with some pit stops along the way.  On the final climb, I can only see upright steps !!    Wanda took my camera and told me to pose.. He went up first and I slowly climb up.. Along the way, some of the times I have to use my hands to crawl up the steps, it’s that steep and narrow .  



 
 
 
Around 50 steps, I made it to the top !   Another pit stop.. Actually, there is this guy in front of me ( we met this group at the waterfall and terrace) was really panting and panting away.. If you see from the photo,  he was lying against the rock and panting, drinking water ! J

 
 
The rest of the group caught up with me, once again, I can see them crawling on 4s to climb to the top





 
 
 
Can you imagine the jubilance, pride, joy, elation that we feel when we reach the Sun gate ?  After 6 hours of hike, tiredness, this is what we feel when we see Machuu Pichuu from afar ..


 

















After about 20 minutes of photo taking, Wanda told us that we need to start the track down to the bus , as it’s getting late and looks like rain.. So, we trekked , this time rocky paths down .   For Auntie Pat, she can’t climb up, for Auntie Winnie, due to back and leg injury , she can’t climb down . So this is another hour of tired walking down . Along the way, we took many quick photos of Machuu Pichuu again.
We reached the bus terminal, ( I was first and got my passport stamped Machuu Pichuu)  and reached the town of Agues Calientes  and hotel.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment